Prof. Mario Polèse (of Montreal’s Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique) summarises his (and others) years of research on urban eco in 5 broad principles.
- cities’ size and location are key determinants of wealth.
- when cities do experience dramatic changes in their growth paths, the reason is almost always outside events or technological change.
- accessible, well-connected cities exhibit higher growth.
- every industry leaves its imprint on a city—and it isn’t always a good one.
- though much remains unexplained, good and bad policies do matter.
Super read on urban economics full of examples and mini-cases on the 5 principles..